First Things First

 No guru, no method, no teacher  Just you and I and nature  And the Father in the garden    Van Morrison

Call It what you like - God, Father, Mother, Spirit, Power - that spiritual connection is the most important factor in achieving and maintaining the gift of sobriety.

I tuned in, early on, when a fellow traveler defined humility as being ‘right-sized’. I’ve heard that term many times since then, and it always strikes me as a term I can both accept and understand. Feeling humiliated many times in the past, I made the incorrect connection to humility as a willingness to be humiliated again and again. No way was I going to ascribe to that, until I understood the difference.

Now I get it, and keep being reminded. I’m not in charge! What a relief! When I was ‘in charge’ of my life, I made ridiculous decisions. I made painful choices which hurt not only myself, but those I loved. I elevated alcohol to the top priority, at the expense of all else. I would have said at the time that of course God had top billing, but a personal relationship was not part of that. I would be ‘captain of my destiny’, even as my ship hit the rocks and I proudly floated on debris.

Well. I’ve found myself ‘right-sized’ a few times, and rather than a humiliation, each was a reminder to relax into what is, and seek the guidance of The One. That’s what keeps me sober.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living in the Now

The God Idea

Anonymity